Choose a Project to View
Recent Field Dispatches
- Impact of Fuel Quality Regulation and Speed Reductions on Shipping Emissions: Implications for Climate and Air Quality
- Initiation of the ice phase by marine biogenic surfaces in supersaturated gas and supercooled aqueous phases
- Reducing uncertainties associated with filter-based optical measurements of light absorbing carbon particles with chemical information
- The optical, physical and chemical properties of the products of glyoxal uptake on ammonium sulfate seed aerosols
It’s not often that we land-lubbers at Sugar Pine get to talk about the airplane, but today we got a great view of it as they flew over us at low altitude. The aircraft team did an extended spiral over our ground site… must have been 6 or 8 circles in all, with a couple of passes straight through the middle over our sampling setup (one of which gave us a pretty ‘intimate’ view of the underbelly of the plane!). I took lots of video, and I’m hoping I can get it edited and put together so I can post here in the near future.
It seems nearly surreal that the study is nearly over… we have about 1.5 days of sampling left before we pack the trailer and head back to San Diego. The last research flights will be tomorrow (Sunday)!! I can speak for those of us at the ground site and say that this is the most adventurous and fun study we’ve done, albeit difficult on the body, dealing with such deep snow and moving equipment in and out of the site (the picture of us moving a pump a few posts back was only the tip of the iceberg!). I think this is the first time the Prather Lab has dealt with snowmobiles, snowshoes, lots of shoveling, walking in snow up to the thighs, and a backhoe to tow us out of the field site. This is most definitely what I signed up for when I joined the lab 20 months ago!!
In my previous posts, I sounded excited about getting a lot of snow…. well I thought we had a lot of snow at that time. It’s nothing compared to what we recieved this weekend. Friday’s snowstorm landed the biggest single-day’s worth of snow that any of us have ever seen. In the evening, when the weather began to taper, Greg Roberts and Scott Noblitt, with the help of the owner of the very cool lodge they are staying at up here in the backcountry, were able to access the site via snowmobile to ensure that none of our equipment was damaged by the unreliable electric service during the storm. When Jack, Jessie, and I arrived in the morning, we were greeted with more than 3.5 feet of new snow (on top of the 1 foot we had remaining from the previous storm). If you have trouble grasping how much this really is… trust me, I’m still trying and I’m in the middle of it… here’s a picture of Jessie (about 5′ 5″ tall) clearing snow off to top of NOAA’s box trailer. Remember, all of that fell in ONE DAY.
According to meteorological data, this past storm may have been associated with Atmospheric River conditions, a notion that jives well with the heavy precipitation we received here in the Sierra in a short amount of time. These kinds of conditions, where water vapor is transported directly from the tropics to the western margin of North America, have been responsible for some of the heaviest rain and snowfall on record for this region. The band of water vapor that hit the coast here on Friday moved southward to the San Diego area on Saturday, giving our friends back home a good soaking.
In terms of aerosol science, it was great to have this second storm a week after the first one: we collected some great snow samples and were able to look for reproducible conditions surrounding the two storms. We’re collecting lots of nice data up here, and we’re all confident that we’ll learn a lot from our observations thus far. We’re just about 10 days or so from the end of the intensive sampling campaign. We’re looking to finish strong… I got word today that there are plans to do lots of flights over Sugar Pine Dam in the G1. I still haven’t had the opportunity to spot them by eye over the site (every time I’ve been available to look, it’s been cloudy).
We saw this message on a motorist alert sign on I-80 today heading in the direction of Donner Pass… it seemed appropriate for the situation. This weekend we had 3+ feet of snow dumped on the field site at Sugar Pine Dam. Things got more interesting with electric service becoming as unpredictable as the weather. Once we finally felt settled and stabilized our research payload, the Sugar Pine crew got a little snow-related activity in this weekend.
It’s a very good thing we decided to rent those snowshoes… we simply would not have made it down the access road without them. Knee-to-hip high snow was the norm for the ensuing 2 days… and wouldn’t you know it, we needed to transport some urgently needed (and very heavy) equipment to the site. We decided a ski-patrol/mountain rescue procedure was in order — though we used a slightly lower-tech approach…
Science-wise, we’ve all been very interested in the preliminary results at Sugar Pine. It looks like we’ll be able to present some very interesting findings once we all get our data processed and compared. It’s great to have multiple views of the conditions at our site, with Greg Roberts and Scott Noblitt joining us this year on a day-to-day basis.
It’s been an incredibly snowy 2 days here at Sugar Pine Dam. Last we saw around noon today, there was about 16 inches of snow on the ground… we’re expecting maybe another foot of accumulation by the time we make it into the site tomorrow. Our exit from the site was about as snowy as I’m comfortable with… we were going to go back in to check our equipment one more time at the end of the afternoon, and decided not to based on quickly deteriorating conditions and daylight. We rented snowshoes for tomorrow….
Well… actually, it’s a lot colder than it was, but who’s counting. We now have some snow at Sugar Pine Dam — about 2-3 inches. We had to come up early today to get our communications back on line, as snow and satellite uplinks don’t mix well. It’s a good thing we have a substantial 4×4 vehicle. There was a stuck pickup truck on the access road to Sugar Pine Dam… at least it was less serious than when we came upon an overturned Jeep during one of last year’s storms. I never thought we’d actually have to use the chains and the come-along winch we brought along…. this year we’ve managed to not need it (yet!!).
Once we trudged our way into the site, by 4×4 and then by foot at the end, we were able get communications back up and running, check our instruments, bring in the collected slush from overnight for offline analysis, and relay some certainty of the conditions before the G1 aircraft flew over the site (and the rest of the central Sierra), about which I’m sure Kim will have much more to say. We heard them fly over us twice today… they were squarely in the thick cloud deck, but the G1′s twin turbo-prop was clearly audible. As I write to you now, the G1 is flying over the Donner Summit and Norden (home of the Central Sierra Snow Lab… and some really great skiing).
We’ve been very excited about our preliminary looks at data, and communicating lots with those back at the aircraft HQ at McClellan Airport. All of our measurements are up and running well at SPD… let’s hope it stays that way! Stay tuned….
What was I saying yesterday about humbling? So after seeing the clouds yesterday, forecasts indicated they should be here today along the coast so we could go out to the coast and sample our first real clouds for this campaign…Guess what! No clouds…they are just out of reach of our flights…I’ve made a sequence of satellite image that perfectly depicts our crazy situation.
Do you see the trend? Let’s hope we beat the trend tomorrow and the rest of this week!! I’m off to boil chicken heads under the moon light and light 3 candles now…and no, I’m not superstitious…